Adding Multiple Elements

Home Forums User Forum Adding Multiple Elements

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Will Gelnaw

I’m new to databases and I’m using Specify 6 for a paleontology collection. I would like to be able to list all the skeletal elements of interest in a fossil so that they can be queried. For instance, I have some jaw fragments with teeth P4 and M1 and some with M1 and M2. I’d like to be able to query all fossils with M1 teeth. The skeletal element is listed as a Collection Object Attribute, but it currently only lets me have one col obj attribute per collection object. Is there a way to have multiple attributes? Would I handle this in the table aggregator?
    Thanks in advance,
    Will

Norine Spears

We recently added multiple fields to the Collection Object Attribute table for just this purpose. You will simply need to customize the forms for your specific use case.

jfongcas

You can use CollectionObjectAttribute if there are enough fields for every kind of tooth you have. A better option (maybe, I haven’t tried it) is to use CollectionObjectAttr. Since this is a many-to-one relationship with CollectionObject, you can have as many CollectionObjectAttr records as teeth. The teeth would be listed in a subview, kind of like how collectors are listed under a collecting event.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.