Means of client access to Specify 6.8.0 ?

Home Forums Developer Forum Means of client access to Specify 6.8.0 ?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hello Specify folks!

I’m new to Specify and am helping a group of people understand the solutions available to them for meeting their requirements. We are using Specify 6.8.0 on the back-end with a few 6.8.0 desktop clients and also Specify 7 for access via the web.

If I want to create a middleware client that selectively accesses data from the Specify database, what options do I have for doing this? Will my client necessarily issues SQL directly to the underlying database, or does Specify 6.8.0 provide a client-side library for encapsulating access, or are there web service APIs I could use? Or is this not advised?

For whichever approaches are available, can you recommend documentation that would assist me? I’ll be the one developing the middleware, should we choose to go this route.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

~joe lapp
    University of Texas at Austin

By examining browser traffic, I see that the Specify 7 client is hitting web API access points implemented by Python scripts on the server. So it appears that access to the underlying Specify 6.8.0 database (if that’s really what’s there) is by web API.

Is this API documented anywhere other than as source code?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.